Sunday, February 28, 2010

waving the proverbial white flag.

In our sunday school class this morning, Pastor Phil had a word. I don't suppose it he mentioned it for me, but it sure felt like it.

I was running late (as usual), but the first thing I remember hearing after getting settled into my seat was this: "It's easy to become a christian. It's difficult to walk out this christian life." Um, Amen.

He went on to remind us that the Lord wants us to surrender to Him. We usually talk about our commitment to the Lord. Committing is negotiable. It is of my choosing. I control when and how it occurs. Surrendering, however, is what I do when I feel I have no other option. It is controlled, not by me, but by an outside force. If someone sticks a gun to my back, I will throw my hands up in surrender because I feel there is no other option.

What keeps us from fully surrendering to the Lord? Unforgiveness, pride, self-reliance? Yes, yes and yes. And a whole list of other things, I imagine.

I left class this morning with a new challenge in my life. I no longer want to be committed to the Lord. I want to be surrendered to Him and to His will for my life. Because He has plans for me. And I am confident that His plan is better than I would even think to ask for.

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment