Sunday, February 14, 2010

Home Safely

Kevin's brother, Scott, passed away on Thursday night. It's such a complicated thing to have to say goodbye to someone you love. It gets even more complicated when that person is experiencing pain and their body is failing them right before your eyes. But, what a precious gift it is to be able to have the time to sit together and have conversations that may have not happened without the illness and impending death. For the past 2 weeks, the family has come close and had lots of time together with him, first at the hospital, and later at the hospice. This time was a special gift that we were able to give to Scott, and, even moreso, he was able to give to each of us.

Some time after his passing, his dad asked if we could gather together as a family in his room and pray. As we circled around his bed and friends and family offered up thier prayers, peace filled that room. After the amens, we noticed that the look on Scott's face had changed. He was smiling. Many commented on it, validating, that I was not, in fact, seeing things. I think Kevin's dad said it best. He said, "I think he is trying to tell us that he made it home safely."

I think he's right. It is a beautiful memory that I will call on often when I need to remember that God is in the details.

Scott, thank you for all that you taught me by the way in which you lived your life. Thank you for challenging me to live my life better, even when I didn't want to hear it. And, thank you for allowing us the opportunity to watch redemption come to fruition in your life. You are greatly missed. Enjoy paradise, my friend.

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment