Friday, April 8, 2011

Seriously??

We live in an era where few people are held responsible for their misbehavior. This statement was made by Steven Reiss, Emeritus Professor of Psychology and Psychiatry at Ohio State University.

I reminisce back to when I was a child and think about how things were handled when I was young. I ask myself, was I allowed to blame everything I ever did wrong on someone else? After about 10 seconds of reflection, the answer was a resounding NO!!

I am choosing to post this because I feel like our families and homes are falling apart because adults are choosing to not take personal responsibility for their actions. To make it worse, these same adults teach their children to shun responsibility. We need to stop living a life of BUTS. I will give a few examples of what living a life of BUTS looks like....
I know I said this and it hurt your feeling, BUT, you did this....
I am sorry I did..... BUT, it was because.....

How about we adopt an attitude of personal responsibility? Why don't we just accept responsibility and say something like.... I am sorry for hurting you. It was wrong. Please forgive me. Wouldn't we all feel better about ourselves and others if we knew that we were willing and others were willing to own their own behavior?

All this to say....Life is hard and relationships with others is difficult. There is no magic formula to make things work out the way we want them. At the end of the day, I want to be able to go to sleep with a clear conscious, knowing that I have been true to my God and to myself and have owned my words and actions.




No comments:

Post a Comment