Friday, April 15, 2011

friendship

I recently read MaryBeth Chapman"s book "Choosing to SEE". There is one scene she describes that I have reflected back on a few times now. She talks about the day that her daughter passed away. They left the hospital and headed to their church to be surrounded by their church family who had gathered to pray. She is met by a small group of friends who take her into the bathroom and proceed to help her our of her clothes that are stained in her daughter's blood. Her friends, were able to recognize her need in a time when she was completely unaware of what her needs might be. One friend gave her a shirt, one a bra, and one pants. She returned to her family. Those 3 friends sat in the bathroom in their literal nakedness while they waited for someone to bring them some clothes in exchange. And, for a moment, they helped clothe their friend in her most figuratively naked moment.

I sobbed as I read this passage. SOBBED. And I praised the Lord that I get to be a part of a group of women who will stand naked in a bathroom for me. Every.single.time. I strive to be a friend who does the same.

To all the girls in my life who are striving to hold on to relationships that are unhealthy at best: my prayer for you is that you will strive to surround yourself with friends who will stand naked for you in a bathroom. Friends who would not even consider their own embarrassment or insecurities during your deepest time of need.



Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. Wow! You have no idea how timely this was for me. Thank you. PS, you got my clothes anytime.

    ReplyDelete